John Samaniego believes that everyone in Shelby County should have the same basic freedoms; the freedom to raise a family in a safe community, the freedom to send your children to the school of
your choice and know that they will be safe, and the freedom to drive on our roadways confident that they are open and safeguarded.
Sheriff John Samaniego's single mission is to use every resource available to him to make sure you are safe and secure in your home, at your place of work, and at your church. He will also ensure
that our children are safe at school.
During his first two terms as Sheriff, John Samaniego and the men and women of the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office have achieved much:
- Served on President Trump's Commission on Law Enforcement
- Chairman of the Board of the Regional Organized Crime Information Center (made up of 14 Southeastern states)
- Awarded "Crime-Stopper of the Year" by the Birmingham area Crime Stoppers
- First Sheriff's Office in Alabama to become CALEA accredited
- First Sheriff's Office in Alabama to received National Institute for Jail Operations accreditation
- First Sheriff’s Office to be recognized as “Dementia Friendly” by M4A
- Implemented a Mental Health training curriculum for area law enforcement
- Aided in the inception of county-wide COMPACT 2020 to combat drug abuse and addiction
- Initiated a Community Outreach program to give citizens greater ownership and involvement in Sheriff’s Office
- Partnered with federal agencies to increase investigative efforts in violent crimes and fugitive recovery